It seems that there's a subset of people who don't know how to post a comment on a blog without being a total dick.
Obviously this isn't just a problem here, as this post on the SNTDS blog indicates the admin there is having the same problem. That's not exactly surprising, since the majority of the offending comments seem to originate from one particular candidate's supporters. I'm sure you can guess which one.
Anyway, I'm instituting the requirement that anyone who wants to comment be registered. No more totally anonymous commenting. I do this reluctantly, because I do have some very good commenters who aren't registered (or at least don't sign in when they comment). I hope that those good commenters will register, because I hate to lose them.
I'm also leaving moderation on for the time being.
To respond to some of the more idiotic comments that most of you never got to see:
- I'm not any of the people I've been "accused" of being, nor am I affiliated with any other blog or anyone's campaign. This is a one-person show.
- I'd gladly let through comments in support of Ted if they actually attempted to support Ted based on the facts at hand and didn't just attack other people.
- I enjoy insane religious rants. Keep those coming!
As far as guidelines for those who do want to comment, they're pretty common-sense.
- Don't be an asshole.
- If you're a bigot, keep it to yourself.
- Don't threaten anybody.
- Don't attack private citizens.
- Stay at least mostly on-topic.
There are probably more but those are the first ones that come to mind. Just have some civility and you'll have no problems.
Thank you and good day.