Friday, March 13, 2009

The full text of my new subheading quote thing

I updated my subheading thingy at the top of the page today, and turned it into a Jefferson quote. Since it's a partial quote, I'll provide the full citation for you here.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

-Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp. July 30, 1816

You can see why I cut it off. As much as I enjoy Jefferson's views on the trinity, it's not a topic I write about much here.

Ridiculing unintelligible propositions, on the other hand, is something I do rather often. Because it's fun.